Believe us, even though it seems odd, just go with us on this one. The flavor profile of this recipe for taco pizza is quite similar to that of a gigantic tostada, but it is served on top of your preferred pizza crust. We were able to keep the calorie count down by using lean ground beef or turkey breast, as well as tomato sauce and black beans with reduced sodium content. You’ll want to make this taco pizza for every future Taco Tuesday because of all of the flavors that come from the taco meat and fresh vegetables.
- One measure (or cup) of warm water (between 105 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit).
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. Yeast powder for rapid use
- 2 and a half cups of all-purpose flour or white whole-wheat flour
- 12 cups of cornmeal in the yellow color
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Spray for cooking that doesn’t stick
- 8 oz. lean ground beef or breast of turkey minced up as a substitute
- 2 tsp. powdered mild chili peppers
- 1 tsp. cumin seed, ground
- 1/2 tsp. coriander seed, ground
- 1 cup of black beans from a can, reduced sodium version, drained and rinsed
- 1 8-oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese with a lower fat content (4 oz.)
- 1 cup quartered grape tomatoes
- 3 cups of romaine lettuce that has been thinly sliced, a quarter of a cup of sliced green onions
- 14 cups of chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Fresh salsa (pico de gallo)
How to Make It
- The yeast, water, and honey should be mixed together in a measuring cup and allowed to sit for ten minutes. Flour, cornmeal, and salt should be mixed together in a bowl using a mixing spoon. Mix in the yeast mixture and the olive oil to the flour mixture, and whisk the ingredients together until they form a soft dough. Knead the dough briefly until it is smooth on a surface that has been lightly floured. Place the dough in a bowl that has been lightly greased and cover it with plastic wrap. Let rise in a
30 minutes in a warm location.
- In the meantime, put some cooking spray all over a large nonstick skillet. Add ground beef, chili powder, cumin, and coriander, and cook while often tossing over medium-high heat until the beef is browned. Take the pan off the heat and mix in the beans.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spray some cooking spray on a big baking sheet or pizza pan and lightly coat it with the spray. After deflating the dough, stretch it out into a circle that is 12 to 14 inches in diameter (or pat it onto the baking sheet). On top of the dough, spread tomato sauce, and then layer on the meat mixture, cheese, and tomatoes. Bake for ten to fifteen minutes or until the crust has developed a light golden color and the cheese has melted.
- Make wedges out of the pizza and sprinkle them with some lettuce, green onions, and cilantro. Include salsa on the plate.
Learn more: 8 Healthy Homemade Pizzas Better Than Takeout